Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Food for Thought

Up to this point in her little life, Mary Ellen has made the job of parenting very simple. Too simple, perhaps, since the first real curve ball she's thrown us has me pretty stumped. And for the first time in her short life, she's showing that she can be somewhat disagreeable. She will NOT eat any of the solid food that we've offered. That cute little wrinkled up face that you saw at her first attempt at food is now a fixture at our dinner table.

I've tried rice. I've tried oatmeal. I've tried offering food in the morning and in the evening and everywhere in between. I've tried catching her when she's super hungry and when she's super happy. I bought smaller spoons because I thought the ones that I had were a little awkward. I've polled many of my friends for advice on what to try, but so far none of their suggestions have worked for us.

Yesterday I called her doctor, but I had a good reason. Mary Ellen has also stopped sleeping through the night. This is the 4th consecutive night where her sleep pattern has been more like that of a newborn: She's waking at 11, 2, 5 and 8 for feedings. The nurse that I spoke with agreed that she's probably hungry and could stand to take in some solid food and suggested that I try sweet potatoes. Although I'm planning to make the majority of Mary Ellen's food, I had gone ahead and bought a few starter foods so we had sweet potatoes in the pantry. This is it, I thought. The cereal was probably too bland, but she's got to like the sweet, right?

I caught her at what I thought was a good time. Bib (plastic-coated, big-girl bib this time) in place. Right-sized spoon at the ready. My mouth hanging open, tempting her to open wide...

Same face. Same reaction. No swallowing.

I'm not actually that worried, but I'll be honest with you, I would like some sleep. I know, I know, I've been very spoiled up to this point. At least I don't have to worry that she's not getting enough to eat. She's growing just fine.

Today is new day, and it brings for me another chance to try to get my kid to eat/sleep and for Mary Ellen another spoonful of sweet potatoes. Will she bite? I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. Well, my girl never took rice cereal or oatmeal. We jumped right into fruits & veggies! Caroline had zero issues in the food department, but Brooke was more of a challange. I had to sing to her. Make her laugh while eating those yummy peas! It seemed to work. Yes, a lot got spit out...but some got in too! Try out those vocal cords :)

    Worst case-go straight for the gold...applesauce.

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your struggles with food and eating. I know you remember my challenges with Jake eating! :) He never liked rice cereal, oatmeal, or applesauce. He was okay with sweet potatoes but was never really over the moon about them. He did however like the fruit/oatmeal mixture that Gerber has. One thought...what if you try putting the food on her tray and let her getting it on her fingers and "feed herself" some? We all know how much she loves her hands! Or maybe some banana in one of those fresh food feeders (Munchkin sells them).
    I wish I had something more helpful for you. I like Kelly's singing idea. I sang/sing to Jake all the time! :) Good luck!
    ~wendy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Wendy - see if she wants to do it herself. You could try mashed avocado or banana, or smashed peas if you haven't already. It could be a texture thing, I don't know if the sweet potato was puree or mashed, but maybe she doesn't like puree texture. My girls were both great early eaters, so I don't have any tricks!Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or you go in the complete opposite direction and try giving her actual food.


    It's called baby-led weaning, and at first it sounds a little bit out there. I had not heard of it until after Brennan was eating solids, but my sister-in-law used it with my niece and nephew.

    Here's the website - worth a read-through, at least!

    http://www.baby-led.com/

    Becky

    ReplyDelete