Thursday, May 19, 2011

Where has all the cat food gone?

I can't swear that she's been eating it. But I can't promise that she hasn't been eating it, either. I think I'm pretty quick, but I fear she's even quicker.

Crawling totally changes the game, doesn't it? No longer is our little Mary Ellen content to play on the carpet with her toys. Oh, no. Not when there is exploring to do. We're really lucky in that our little house is fairly easy as far as keeping certain things off limits. With really just one main room and one hallway, she's free to roam around the area without too much danger or risk of finding something that she shouldn't. She's even managed to navigate the threshold to the porch on her own, so she's free to roam about both outdoors and in.

The cat food, however, is the one thing that remains "off limits." So why is it, dear Mary Ellen, that this is the ONLY thing you seem to be interested in? What is so appealing about these little brown rocks? The cats merely tolerate them. They can't be that good. Can you confirm the taste? Please, I really hope not.

So the cats may have to start hunting for their food. We move their bowls to our bathroom (the one currently under renovation) but I fear I will never remember to feed our poor pets. The garage is a no, since we'd just be inviting the ant population of central Florida to live in the food bowls. Same goes for the porch. I'd put it up on a higher shelf, but we've let our poor Daisy get so heavy that she struggles to jump up on anything. Wait, maybe this would do her good...

Any suggestions? I'd love to spend more time playing with Mary Ellen and less time playing cat food goalie. Please help a girl out.

4 comments:

  1. My only thought is to put up a baby gate, but then Mary Ellen couldn't get close enough to you when you're in the kitchen. But maybe that doesn't matter so much, I don't know. Second thought--would the cats really allow you to let them go hungry? The bathroom might not be such a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No help here as cousin Caroline is a dog food lover. In the beginning...I think it was simple curiousity. Now...she does it because she knows she is not supposed to and she thinks it is hysterical!!! I chalk it up as good fiber :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did have another thought, which I'll now share: first, you take away all the shoes. Now, you want to take away her snacks (doesn't the cat food just look like bigger, better cereal?). Poor Mary Ellen can't catch a break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Wendy had a good suggestion and we tried the master bathroom, but no good. Poor Mimi. She's not bright enough to remember where we put the food. God help her.

    ReplyDelete