Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lamaze Class or Game 5?

The Fleming Family at Game 1
of the Eastern Conference Finals.
That's right, Matt Barnes! Go get 'em!


Here it is, the first big parenting question that we've had to face. If you didn't know it, Brian and I have become huge Magic fans over the past several years. We have a partial season ticket plan and follow the team throughout the year. They are such a fun team to watch, and we've especially enjoyed the playoff runs the past two years. That being said, we are facing quite the conundrum regarding our dear Magic.

Here we are in Round 3 of the NBA Playoffs, the Eastern Conference Finals. Winner of this series goes all the way. Our Magic stormed through the first two rounds, sweeping their opponents and winning 8 consecutive playoff games. Then came Boston. The Magic were down 0-3 until last night's game, when the Magic finally pulled out a road win to force a Game 5. The fateful Game 5 will be played tomorrow night. This game could also mark the last game the Magic will plan in Amway Arena, as the team is moving a few blocks down the road into the Amway Center next season. So do I begin the hunt for tickets (my favorite May/June pastime)?

Not so fast, Momma. Game 5 just happens to be scheduled for the first night of our childbirth classes. The classes will span for 5 weeks, so missing one class won't hurt, right? I'm trying to be mature about this, and I've really been looking forward to going to the classes and to spending this time with Brian. And technically, the class starts at 7 and tip-off isn't until a little after 8:30, so we could just head out a little early, right? People have been having babies for thousands of years, and missing an hour of a class won't change what's going to happen in the delivery room, will it? And come on! It's the playoffs!

Seriously, people. What would you do?

8 comments:

  1. Get the tickets! I was going to say it, but you already did--people have been having babies since at least Eve had Caine and Abel, right? Just try to get some in a fight-free section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously? It's the first class. Remember the first class in college? Its National Syllabus week. You aren't going to learn any good stuff the first day anyway, and I bet by missing the first class you also don't have to sit through the awkward personal introductions. ("Hello, my name is Cathy, this is Harold and our baby's name is Tevin, we can already tell he likes surfing, re-runs of Mad About You, and the genie from Aladdin, etc.....")

    Plus, by just bringing it up, you owe it to Brian to go now. Any guy whose wife is even considering skipping a childbirth class to go to a basketball game is going to cash in all availible points to seal the deal.

    Go to the game. Have fun. Please don't get in any fights. It's just a t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do both. You have to master multi-tasking before the baby comes anyways. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. breathe breathe breathe... push push push. it's easy. Get the tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur with all of the comments. Go to the game! Jim missed our first class and I was wishing the whole time I had been with him. :) You can always review with the teacher another night as to what you missed (if you feel the need). Enjoy the time with Brian, cause in a little while it won't just be tickets you'll have to find but also a babysitter!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone above. Cherish these last few months as just the two of you . . . you'll never be just the two of you ever again! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say go to the game...but remember when your baby grows up you cant complain about him/her cutting class to go the Winery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Brian, repeat those words in the delivery room and let me know how that works out for you. :p

    Sounds like the best of all Situations--Game 5 plus a full education! There's been education for thousands of years, only it came in the form of helping with the births of all the children in the village before having your own. I paraphrase my history, but you get the idea. . . .

    ReplyDelete