I love shopping. I could spend hours wandering aimlessly through stores, browsing, touching, wanting. I don’t necessarily need to buy anything, I just love seeing what’s out there. Being pregnant hasn’t changed this (except when it comes to buying clothes for me), and it’s so fun to have a completely new set of things to shop for. Brian and I went this weekend and spend a few hours shopping for our stroller and car seat, and now those two big decisions have been made. Whew. Now on to my next obsession: Cloth or disposable diapers? What? Are we crazy? Just maybe…
Brian came home a few weeks ago with the idea that using cloth diapers would be a lot cheaper than using disposables. The repressed hippie in me loves the idea of not piling 3,000 diapers into our landfills. Disposable diapers have come a long way. There are no pins, no soak buckets, and really, they’re kind of cute. But there are so many of them out there, and NONE are available at your neighborhood store. So I’m obsessively shopping online. Then my pal Lisa and I are attending a Diaper Meet-n-Greet at Infusion Tea this week to actually be able to see them in person. Yup. That’s right, we’re going to a seminar about diapers.
My question: Do you know anyone who has used cloth diapers (in this century)? Are they still your friends, or was this a life-altering decision? Which brand of diapers did they use? Fuzzy Bunz. gDiapers. Bummies. Kushies. Seriously, the names are all equally ridiculous, so I can’t just choose by the “that’s the least embarrassing one to say” principle.
The more I research, the more I like the idea of trying cloth diapers. I realize that it will be more work than using disposables, but really, we have no idea what we’re in for with a newborn anyway, so why not just make this part of our enjoyably overwhelming parenting experience?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't use cloth diapers-we are adding to the landfills at our house-however, I do read a few blogs of girls that do the cloth diapering and I would be happy to email them your way! Also, when you come to STL, visit Cotton Babies.
ReplyDeletewww.cottonbabies.com
They are very well known-even outside of St. Louis-and aparently have some great deals. I heard that they ship cheap too if you need fill in items. I will go with you while your in town if you want!
Thanks, Kel! I'll check it out.
ReplyDeleteI have no references or recommendations to pass along, but for the record I don't think you're crazy. I love that you're even thinking about cloth diapers!
ReplyDeleteM. (another repressed hippie)
You're brave sista! It's people like you that I count on to make my world a better place...but we've gotten much better at recycling. :) I have one hippie friend going green, so I'll check with her.
ReplyDeleteI attended the diaper meeting last night, and I'm sure you're all just dying to hear how it went. It was great, actually. I got to see many different types of diapers and hear from some real moms about their experiences. I think it's totally something we can do, and I feel better about the whole thing. Thanks for all of your help, too, and if you hear any other good tips, please send them along!
ReplyDelete